Monday, January 21, 2013

I Have PCOS

Dear reader,

       My name is Shelly and I have PCOS (Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome).  Increasingly, the health industry is learning more and more about this disease but I've noticed a lot of ignorance in not only the public but among doctors.  
       I was finally diagnosed with PCOS after several years of doctors visits and very little answers.  I left my hometown of Seattle, Washington, for my husband's hometown of Spokane, Washington in 2010 to help out his family.  While we were there I was lucky to find a younger doctor who didn't have preconceived notions about how someone should "be."  When I brought up the concerns of having PCOS to him, he went beyond my expectations and researched what he didn't know so he could help me as best he could.  Dr. Meltzer relieved so much of the stress I had been feeling through-out the years.  
        Not only did it explain my high blood pressure at a young age but also why I hadn't gotten pregnant over the years with my husband.  As PCOS is a "syndrome" there are many symptoms to this disease.  For a complete lift of early symptoms as well as gradual symptoms, please look here: PCOS Symptoms
       So after years of frustration, I finally had someone to listen and in addition he put me on some medications that would help possibly over time.  I started Metformin in the summer of 2010, as well as a different blood pressure medication that would be better for baby if I happen to get pregnant.  In addition the expectation that I would follow the medication regiment, I also was to follow a different diet (one more like a diabetic would follow, including not eating so many starchy carbohydrates) and an exercise routine.  
      It took a few months but I noticed that the Metformin started curbing my severe cravings for sweets and starchy carbs (pasta, potatoes).  Even to this day after two years on the medication, I rarely eat pasta.  I don't even crave the fettuccine alfredo that was my favorite.  This would have been shocking and sad to the Shelly pre-metformin as funny as that sounds.  I was addicted! 
       
      Fast forward to November 2011, when my husband and I returned to Seattle.  Although, I was sad to leave my doctor the work in Spokane just didn't pay as well as what we could make in Seattle.  Just as I was about to start a new job, I got the opportunity to volunteer in Namibia, Africa at the N/a'an ku sê Foundation & Animal Sanctuary. I was able to stay in Africa between Feb-March 2012, also spending some time in Capetown, South Africa.  I was definitely out of my element! I was fortunate enough to experience a lifestyle that I would never have found in the states.  



     This included LOTS of exercise, considering I was working on a farm in the Namibian heat.  Not to mention most of the food we ate was grown in their greenhouse or taken from their personal game area.  The way we ate was MUCH healthier than most of the food I find in the states so I quickly lost weight in Namibia.  I even got down to the smallest I've ever been in my adult life... which I'm sure my husband was excited to see when I got off the plane :)  


      I returned to the states at the end of March 2012 and with having lost as much weight as I had, despite my PCOS, I discussed trying to conceive with my husband.  Okay, so up to this point I admit... you are "trying" if you're not "trying" to use protection hehe but I meant seriously watching my ovulation as well as adding in addition to my Metformin, the drug Clomid that helps PCOS infertility.  My idea was to start prenatal vitamins to get ready and then start Clomid in October when I thought I'd be able to get insurance through my husbands work.  
      I'd have to say I had relaxed a bit since there was no stress about if I was pregnant or not... I really thought after so long, it wasn't an issue.  I started my prenatal vitamins in June of 2012 and was at work feeling pretty crappy in August, crying at things I normally wouldn't be upset over ... when someone at work asked if I could be pregnant.  "Pfffftt... no way." was my answer.  
      I even waited almost 2 months past my missed period because I had been so used to having negative test results.  FINALLY, my friend convinced me to have a test... 

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment